Sunday 12 July 2015

Bearing Witness to Max Eisen (July 7)

Max Eisen Journal Reflection

Having the opportunity to listen to Max Eisen’s testimony was truly inspiring. The amount of devastation he had experienced brought up so many emotions within me and was extremely eye opening. As I listened to Mr. Eisen speak, I was drawn to his voice because it expressed so much passion. However, this wasn’t in the form of anger or rage towards those who had inflicted extreme suffering upon him. Instead, Max took me on a journey that addressed how an event as brutal as the Holocaust should never happen again. He was so open and willing to share his story with a group of complete strangers to help benefit our knowledge of this tragic point in history. The ability he had to remain composed must have taken so much strength.

I had originally prepared to take notes while Max told his story, but surprisingly I never lifted my pencil during the entire presentation. I was drawn to his voice and couldn’t shift my focus because I feared that I would miss out on something. The way his words flowed allowed me to reflect on how I was feeling and make connections in my own life. The emphasis he placed on ideas such as the radio leaking poison are what kept me craving more and more. Something else that caught my attention was the analogy of Max’s family escaping up through the chimney. I can’t even begin to imagine how difficult it was for him to associate death with such a disturbing concept as a young boy.

There was one thing that left me with unanswered questions. Being the observant person I am, I noticed what appeared to be a tattoo imprinted on Max’s forearm. After a few moments, I realized it was the number given to him by Nazi officials at Auschwitz. How did this impact him in his everyday life? Was it simply just a reflection of his brutal past or did the permanent ink haunt him on a regular basis? Details like this made Max Eisen’s experience so real and I am honored to have been able to listen in on such an impactful story.   
- Taylor B.

No comments:

Post a Comment